WELCOME TO THE LOCAL AREA
EARLY HISTORY OF STOW OF WEDALE
Although little remains today, the Stow of Wedale is probably the oldest site associated with the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Scotland.
The name Stow is thought to be from the Old English for Holy Place, and Wedale from the Old English "Wiche" meaning shrine and "Dahl" meaning valley. So we have Valley of the Shrine.
The first written mention of Wedale comes in the Historia Britonum" written by the Welsh monk Nemius in AD826.
According to Nemius, King Arthur had, in gratitude to Our Lady for a vision in which she assured him of victory over the invading Angles, caused an image of Our Lady to be brought from Cappadocia and placed in "Our Lady's House at Wedale".
Our Lady's well. Situated just south of the village. Access from A7 at Subscription Bridge.
The well was rebuilt by Ralph Parker a local amateur "dry stane dyker" as part of the local millenium project to celebrate the year 2000 and copies the previous one which is thought to have been constructed around 1863.
This bridge is one of a few surviving examples of a "pack horse" bridge.
This picture shows a winter sunrise as seen from the bedroom window of Lilac Cottage.
It's lovely in winter as well.